[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Old Gravel
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Old Gravel

Need advice about buying some equipment or wish to write a review.

Old Gravel

Postby andnorr » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi I have just purchased a used fish tank it was being used upto an hour before I bought it My question is can i use the old gravel or do i need to replace it? The gravel is dirty and if used again do I just vacuum it
andnorr

Re: Old Gravel

Postby malakye » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:56 pm

If your happy with it and the tank didnt show any sign of disease just gravel vac it and it will be fine
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby andnorr » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:37 pm

No the tank and fish looked healthy enough have filled it up and there are no sjgns of cloudiness etc will leave it run through the filters for a couple of days then check the water condition. If all ok how long before I can introduce any fish to the tank
andnorr

Postby Jack Middleton » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:54 pm

I'd take it out and rinse in hot water personally. Ideally you want to fishless cycle before adding fish.
Jack Middleton

Postby Getthejist » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:42 pm

When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Postby andnorr » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:00 pm

I didnt want the fish so waited until he sold them he then drained the majority of the water I had the tank up and running within an hour of collecting it so am hoping that the baacteria will still be in the tank
andnorr

Postby Mick » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:20 pm

did you keep the filter media damp, if it dries out the bacteria will die off.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby malakye » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:31 pm

If the filter media was kept wet then it should be safe to start adding some fish straight away, just take it slowly so the bacteria has a chance to catch up with the bioload again. Invest in a water test kit, liquid tests are better than strips and keep an eye on the stats.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Fishkeeping Equipment