Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

help fish dying within 5 minutes of been in tank

Need some help or advice quickly.

help fish dying within 5 minutes of been in tank

Postby olive » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:04 pm

please help i have set up a new tank a week ago with dr who for my son have done test
nitrite is 0
nitrate is 10
p.h. 6.8
my test strips dont have ammonia on
tank is a 60l
have just put 2 platys in and within 5 mins they where dead what is wrong have had tanks before but never had this problem my local pet shop said put a goldfish in to help tank but dont want to kill any more fish :cry: :cry:
olive

Re: help fish dying within 5 minutes of been in tank

Postby Big Den » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:33 am

The fish have been subjected to a pH shock. This is the main cause of death when a person does not take the trouble to cycle a tank properly and check that the fish they are buying are going into the same type of water. Test strips are useless and give inaccurate readings. The shop owner was suggesting that you add a goldfish so that the tank can be cycled, goldfish are a tough fish and can stand wide variations in water chemistry. I would suggest you do some research on setting up an aquarium before you kill any more fish. There are some very good threads on this site that will help you through the process.
Big Den

Re: help fish dying within 5 minutes of been in tank

Postby malakye » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:55 pm

Hi Olive, sorry you have had such a poor start to your return to fish keeping, sadly many fish are much weaker than they were years ago, a lot of this has to do with better husbandary, so a tank that is not fully cycled shocks them to death.
I wouldn't advise adding a goldfish either mind you, no fish should be subjected to a tank that is not ready for them.
Fish tanks need longer than a week to fully cycle, if you have a look on the beginners section you will find a post about fishless cycling. You will also find a post about how to acclimatise fish when adding them to a new tank as it takes time and simply dropping them into a tank that is not compatible causes real issues for them.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Emergencies