Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Bullied Lionhead goldfish

Need some help or advice quickly.

Bullied Lionhead goldfish

Postby jakgold » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:26 pm

My Lionhead Goldfish was nearly killed by my 4 Orandas.

They were all new fish... I put them into their pond and seconds after swimming from the plastic bag the orandas started to chase and bite at the black lionhead.

They chases it constantly... I thought, as the pond is a good size.. it would hide and they would sort themselves out. But the next day the lionhead was nowhere to be seen.. I found it cowering in a corner in the plants. It has missing scales off its back and its tail has got all shredded. It was very weak.

I took it out and put it in my indoor aquarium. Its a few days later now and its totally recovered and lively again.. and its tail is healing already.

I tried to put it back in the pond, but again the very violent chasing started.. so he is back inside.

I have never seen goldfish react like this.. and I have been keeping them for years... I even used to work in an aquarium shop.. I have seen them chasing each other and butting each other, but never really attacking and biting another one.

All the fish are the same size... and all healthy.. and all young... only about 3 inches long in the body.. so I don't think they can be trying to breed.

Has anyone had this happen before? Also will the lionheads scales re grow.. as it was a beautiful fish.. but now the missing scales are like shiny silver, spoiling the black body.

Thanks.
jakgold

Re: Bullied Lionhead goldfish

Postby malakye » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:23 pm

The colour will come back on the lionhead, I had a black moor who got himself stuck in an ornament and rubbed himself gold, within a few months he was back to black.
As for Orandas they can be bullies, I have 2 a chocolate and an orange who can not share their tank with any other fish because they do bully them even if they are bigger. Sounds like you are going to have to stick with orandas and keep the lionhead in the house until it is much bigger then try it again but my fear is they will continue to attack it just because it is different.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jakgold » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:51 pm

Thanks you for your reply. The lionhead is very happy now its in my house.. its sharing its tank with much smaller male guppies. They all seem to get on really well.. and the lionhead finishes up any food the guppies leave.. he is very useful in that tank! I have grown very fond of him.. he is now a real pet rather than an ornamental fish in the pond. His tail, which was really shredded up, has stuck itself back together.. but there is a big second missing on one side.. but looks like its already starting to grow back. No sign of fungus or rot, thankfully, and I keep my tank really clan with daily water changes and its very heavily planted with fast growing plants that I keep having to chuck out by the bucketful each week.
jakgold

Postby malakye » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:56 pm

Glad to hear he is doing ok. They heal really quickly so long as the water upkeep is good which by the sounds of things yours is.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Emergencies