Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Platys dying

Need some help or advice quickly.

Platys dying

Postby angelfish20 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:05 pm

I have a 64 litre tank that has been up and running for 4 months now. I bought 4 platys once the tank was up and running and built up my fish collections from there. I regularly test my water balance/levels and they are fine. I change the tank with a 30% water change, I replace the filter and use the treatment to make new water safe. My original platys have been dying- My first one was about 2 months ago but I suspect she died during pregnancy. I took her to the shop and they said the same as platys give birht to live young. My second female died aboutone month ago and now a third male platy looks to be going the same direction. There is no apparent symptoms- feeding fine, swimming and then one day start lying on the bottom and die some hours later. He tries to swim but then seems to tire and go back to the bottom. I have treated the water for bacteria infection but I am getting distressed as to why they keep dying and i can't seem to do anything for them. There have been many weeks apart from the deaths and all other fish are fine. The platy in danger has been in the tank for 4 months and was fine until this afternoon. I also have 6 danios, 5 white cloud minnows as well. Any help??
angelfish20

Re: Platys dying

Postby malakye » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:39 pm

You said your stats are fine but what are the exact levels, we need to know those in order to help you. What test kit are you using.
You shouldnt have to replace the filter, doing so means you loose all the good bacteria stored in there. Its only really the carbon which should be replaced, you should just wash the filter using old tank water, never run it under the tap.
It doesnt sound like a water issue but without seeing the fish its hard to tell. Can you add a picture of the fish in question, sometimes it is easier to see what is going on then possibly tell if it is bacterial.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Emergencies