Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Cloudy Tank

Need some help or advice quickly.

Cloudy Tank

Postby Dsmith80 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:58 pm

Hi,
I bought a kit from pets at home to get ready for my children for Christmas. I was told to fill with water treated with stress coat, put filter on and wait 3 days before adding fish.
I filled the tank with water on Saturday and set the filter going on Sunday (once it stayed attached) it kept slipping so had to secure wire. I also added a teaspoon of stress zyme as per directions.
Woke up Monday to a cloudy tank - I've read lots about bacteria booms and nitrogen cycle. I'm struggling because I haven't added fish or ammonia.
It's now Tuesday eve and seems even cloudier - I don't know if I've done something wrong? If I should do a water change?

I want the tank to be temperate and set up to house a few danios and shrimp/snail just for kids. I had planned to collect fish on way home from work tomorrow - just worried about this cloudiness!

Help!
Dsmith80

Re: Cloudy Tank

Postby malakye » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:42 pm

Sadly you were given poor advice from pets at home, waiting 3 days does nothing. You need to cycle the tank which takes up to 6 weeks. Cloudy tanks are common in a newly set up tank. The bacteria needs to build in the filter to be able to cope with the bioload of anyfish you add. Your tank simply is not ready for fish.
If you go to the beginners section you will find posts about fishless cycling your tank. This is the best way to do it for both your tank and your fish but if you decide to add the fish you will have to do almost daily water changes to stop the ammonia levels from reaching deadly levels.
Do not add shrimp into a tank that is just newly set up, you will have to wait a couple of months at the very least, they need a stable enviroment and do not do well in newly set up tanks.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Emergencies