Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

My tank looks like hell and there aren't even fish in it yet

Need some help or advice quickly.

My tank looks like hell and there aren't even fish in it yet

Postby Vestyxe » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:51 pm

I'm still cycling my tanks I haven't even got fish in it yet and it's gone sort of tits up, I'm pretty concerned.

The white flecks are still in the tank, in higher numbers.
There is a white slimy film substance that keeps gathering on my air pipe.
My plants look like hell and have weird twin tailed things growing on them.
The sand is covered in green and brown algae, I don't think a Pleco can handle it.
The new plants I introduced have brought a bunch of little snails in to the tank, I don't really mind them if they're not harmful though.

Are you sure I can't just use some Tetra: AlguMin - Dual action algae treatment?
Vestyxe

Re: My tank looks like hell and there aren't even fish in it

Postby malakye » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:25 pm

Dont worry about the dark bits on the java fern, new plantlets will usually grow from them, that's what the bits growing out them are.
Snails pick out as many as you can, they will decimate your plants and become a problem. I know where you got your plants its one of the worse places in the area for buying from, their fish and plants are seriously crap and they push chemicals at every chance they get. They are in it simply for the cash not the fish welfare and the advice they give is even worse at times. I got dirty looks for telling a woman that despite them saying a 21litre tank was ideal for 3 goldfish it was totally wrong and her fish would be dead in not time. They told another that an oscar was fine in with neons etc. There is one place worse which I will tell you about when I am down next. I will come down through the week and have a look and bring the test kit down and check your stats again as you were not too far off when I tested it last week. :thu:
Don't add the algae treatment especially while the tank is cycling. As for the sand just give it a slight stir, run your fingers through it. When it is finished cycling you will have to do a large water change which will get rid of most of the white bits but without seeing it, its hard to say what they are but I suspect its a bacterial bloom which is really common in a new set up and isn't anything too worrying. You have nitrites in the tank just now which add to the problem with algae, once that part of the cycle is complete it will slow the algae issues.
Stop worrying its not going wrong lol.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vestyxe » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Alright, thank you.
I picked 4 snails out, right now I can't see anymore, luckily they all gathered on the rock you gave me where there was a patch of algae.
They probably misinformed me about my new plant too, I asked if it would be okay in my tank because it's sand and I didn't have any nutrient tabs under the sand and the guy kept nodding and saying they'd be absolutely fine, I doubted him but I'm socially awkward so I didn't say anything.
I think most good places say you need at least 30 gallons for one gold fish because they crap so much. (The examples I've seen have all been US gallons, I don't know the difference like which is bigger)

Alright, I'd appreciate that, thank you.

I got two small pieces of wood from there also (I heard plecos like to suck on wood? I thought these little bits would do until I find a nice larger piece I want, plus I needed something to put the other java fern on because right now one of them is just sitting with it's roots under the cave) I've had them soaking for about 5 days now, the water now seems like it's running clear, when would be a good time to add them?
Vestyxe

Postby malakye » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:01 pm

You can add them now, as I said to your mum it is usually better to boil the bog wood to get the tannins to release so don't panic if the water starts going brown when its added to the tank.

That plant can do ok in sand without any nutrient tabs. I only ever added a little liquid ferts to my tank the problem is it isn't the best kind of plant you can buy, it does better in a pond.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Eric » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:10 pm

If your worried about snails get some assassin snails when the tank is cycled. I put 3 in my 120L and have kept the snails right in check. They bred as well

Eric
Eric

Postby Vestyxe » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:32 pm

Eric wrote:If your worried about snails get some assassin snails when the tank is cycled. I put 3 in my 120L and have kept the snails right in check. They bred as well

Eric

You probably don't care anymore and sorry for the late reply...very late reply, I forget posts sometimes, anyway I bought a bunch of assassins two weeks after you'd said and they cleared up the problem very fast, thanks.
Vestyxe

Return to Emergencies