Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

HELP WITH FISH!!!

Need some help or advice quickly.

HELP WITH FISH!!!

Postby AbigailMoseley94xx » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:55 pm

Hello! So me and my partner recently moved in together, and i brought a fish tank online from somebody with fish included for 25! There was me after a general cokd water tank, until it arrived and i realised it was a tropical set up! In the tank, was an eel, two plecos and a catfish, and also an old fighter fish.. naturally theyvwere all grey apart from our good old fighter fish!! So we naively ran out to buy new awesome colourful fish without doing research. Stupid we know, no judging now please. Well anyway after a few months we lost our oldest fighter.and gave a plec away.
Long story short! We have 3 tiger barbs, 2 guppy, a swordtail, a new fightet, a red tail shark, one small plec, and the eel somewhere! I soon realised our tank is over crowded when the shark decided the guppies were dinner and has savaged their tails rotten!! Anyway, we purchased a new slightly smaller tank so now we want to seperate and help these fish have loving lives. We know we need to take the shark and the guppies apart asap, any suggestions who should go in what tank?
AbigailMoseley94xx

Re: HELP WITH FISH!!!

Postby malakye » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Firstly, don't worry no one will judge you, we have all made mistakes at one time or another.
Now on to the fish, tiger barbs, redtail shark and depending on the species, the eel are semi-aggressive fish. Redtail sharks are lovely to look at but do ravage fish as you have found out. The other problem you have is guppies and fighters should never be kept together as the fighter sees the guppies bright colours as a threat and he will rip them to bits as well.
How small is the small tank? As that will dictate which fish can actually go in there.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:13 pm

Thank you so much for replying ! Truly appreciate it haha, well our biggest is about 55 gallons, as i was saying way too small for all our fish, but now we have them we want to do the best we can, i never said we gave the catfish and that plec to my brother in law haha he has a much bigger tank and can take care of them, anyway, this new tank,the smaller one is about 2/3rds of the size of our bigger one ! So id say 30 gal?

Postby malakye » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:12 pm

Does your brother in law not want a red tail shark lol, that way you could have the guppies in one tank and the betta (fighter) in the other without worrying about either being picked off.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AbigailMoseley94xx » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:53 pm

Awww no we love our shark! Haha we have concluded the shark will have to live solo we think because we are sat here warching him and the fish just arent going to last much longer until we take him out its so sad to watch him chasing nd scaring them they barely have time to breathe! The fighter is very placid to be fair he just gets on with it so will our sharj be okay in a tank on his own?
AbigailMoseley94xx

Postby malakye » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:53 am

Yes the shark will be fine on his own, dont buy another for company for him as he will bully the other to death, they are mean to each other.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:09 pm

Fantastic then thankyou for the advice haha , the heat stick should arrive within the next few days for our new tank... Any advice on what i should do to set it up properly? We have the filter accessories etc and water neutraliser etc

Postby malakye » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:18 pm

Put your filter into your current tank to help build up the bacteria needed to keep the tank healthy, if possible either swap some of the filter media from your old tank filter into the new one (about a third) or squeeze some of the gunk out of the old one into the new one. Use some of the old tank water to partially fill the new tank.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:51 pm

I didnt think of that! Thanks, just finished getting our sharks tank ready, so happy with it haha we are turning into an awuarium! We had a brand new air bubble filter so we have that in but ill deffo take some water out and add some of this old tanks water in, then add some water safe all before hes in haha just waiting on our temperature stick now should arrive next week, the shark is actually getting bigger , i wonder how big he will grown haha my partner thinks its awesome and i think hes hoping if hes in his own tank he will grow bigger haha

Return to Emergencies