Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

White particles floating in the tank

Need some help or advice quickly.

White particles floating in the tank

Postby Vestyxe » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:15 am

I just set the tank up a few days ago to prepare for cycling and there have been white specs floating around, I know it seems petty to call this an emergency but I'm dumb and didn't quite know where to ask, is this just something that will go in a little while or have I messed up somehow?
Vestyxe

Re: White particles floating in the tank

Postby malakye » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:43 pm

just skim them off, you have not messed up anything. It could be little bits from the sand or I had a roll of polystyrene in there before it came down to you so could even be little bits from that. Don't panic.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vestyxe » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:31 pm

Skim them out? They're too small for a net and they're throughout the whole tank. ;-;
Vestyxe

Postby Vestyxe » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Vestyxe

Postby Graeme » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Is it dust from the filter medium? Have you got some of those ceramic hola hoops? They chuck out some dust.
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby Vestyxe » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:16 pm

I have no idea Graeme, Candise came over and set it up for me then I just put it in the tank and filled it with water.
Vestyxe

Postby malakye » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:52 pm

No there is no ceramics in the filter, its just foam. It is as Graeme said just dust and nothing to worry about the filter should catch it up. Have you decided to go without a background on the tank?
I was meant to give your mum some java fern to start you off with some plants, I will get some down to you through the week.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vestyxe » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:58 pm

I hope so.
Yes, I'm not really too fond of backgrounds but I didn't want to seem like an ungrateful little shit because you were being really generous, so I didn't say anything at the time.
Thanks, I just read recently that plants will often melt back when put in other tanks of different water quality than they're used to and will take ages to grow back (depending on the plants and quality difference) is this true?

Couldyou help reset up the filter when you come around, please? I was just flicking through the instructions and it said I can only have one of the features not both, the spray bar OR the Venturi pipe, I have both still connected, it says to remove and adjust a bunch of parts and I'm not confident enough to do it myself yet incase I mess up and break something.

Also, there are a lot of dog hairs clinging to the side of the filter every time I try to pick them of they just come loose, float around the tank for a bit and then restick to the filter, it's frustrating cause I can only get like one or two out at a time.
Vestyxe

Postby malakye » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:10 pm

Yes I will help you no worries. It just will not run as a venturi when the spray bar is attached so you dont need to remove it, it will still work ok and will not cause any issues, the spray bar causes more surface agitation so you are better to use that the worry about the venturi, it is surface agitation which puts oxygen into the tank.
As for dog hairs just wait until you do a water change when the cycle is complete and siphon them out. Or use a really fine mesh net to scoop them out when they are free from the filter.
Plants will die back slightly but unless it is really delicate plants there is not usually any problems. You will be looking for easy grow plants so you will not get much die back at all.

No dont be silly if you dont like backgrounds then that is your choice, backgrounds especially black make the plants etc pop more but you are the one who has to look at it so if you are not happy then dont use one, I will just get the background back from you and use it on one of the other tanks lol.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Emergencies