Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Coral removal

Need some help or advice quickly.

Coral removal

Postby OicUlikefish2 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:53 pm

My African chiclids were producing babies 24/7. So today I took the crushed coral out of the tank in hopes of curbing the reproduction. Did h20 change and now have one dead and a few suffering fish. I didn't check ph prior, but now it is 7.6. I added water from the crushed corals jar (with leftover tank water in it) to try to bring ph up. I think I changed about 50% h20. I do this all the time ( for past 20 years) but never thought the coral removal would be so drastic. Don't beat me up, cause I got feelings yo, but has anyone else had a similar experience? I went from having 6 fish in one tank (then they kept making babies) to having about 30 fish. I did a lot of research before buying these fish, but nowhere did it say that they would reproduce and survive and turn into grown fish. Is this something that just isn't mentioned? It's difficult to find homes for all these fish. Africans only had for 3 years, before that South Americans. Never had this problem. Also of course did not have coral with South Americans. Thanks for any similar experiences.
OicUlikefish2

Re: Coral removal

Postby POS_miniracer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:42 pm

I know you mentioned not checking the pH beforehand but do you have an idea what it usually is?

Although African's prefer harder water they can do well in a pH of 7.6 but I suspect your problem is not as much what the pH is/was but possibly a/the dramatic drop.

The thing with pH is not so much whether it's constantly too high or too low but rather swings in the pH that cause problems. One problem that can sometimes occur is digestion issues so I would probably not feed until they've had time to acclimate to the new (suspected) lower pH.

As for the breeding or spawning most would assume you must have had a fairly healthy set up to achieve such a constant level of spawning so aside from all the extra fish it's actually a good thing. I never had that problem when I kept African's but do have that problem with all my SA/CA cichlids.
POS_miniracer

Postby malakye » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:22 pm

No one on this group would ever shoot you down. When you have removed the coralsand you have released a massive spike of nasties that had been trapped in there. You have also caused a huge swing in the pH which will have caused an issue for the fish as well. Do you have a test kit? You really need to check the stats.
I have only ever kept a few species of cichlids but have never heard of removing the coral sand helping to stop them breeding so not sure it will actually work.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby OicUlikefish2 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:54 pm

The worst is over, but I killed 5 fish! Tap ph is 7.2, tank usually 7.8 to 8.0. I'm grasping at anything to curb the population (I noticed the fish equivalent of 6 toes in one of my fish((that's inbreeding))). Fish are starting to eat again. I'll let you know in few months if coral removal stops the procreating. Removed about 20 new babies instead of letting them grow up in the already overpopulated tank. Lesson learned.
OicUlikefish2

Postby malakye » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:59 pm

sorry you had to learn that way but glad to hear they are picking up again. You should stick around and post pictures of your fish there are a few cichlid fans on the group.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tank » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:04 am

I agree with Admin. Glad to see everything is going smoothly now :)
tank

Postby OicUlikefish2 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:46 pm

AHHHHHHHGGGGGG!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY'RE AT IT AGAIN. I have a whole new set of babies born. NOOOOOOOO! I GUESS coral removal did not do it. I'm done with Africans.
OicUlikefish2

Postby POS_miniracer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Have you considered just keeping all males?
POS_miniracer

Postby malakye » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:13 pm

Seperate the males from the females that will work.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby superdart » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:28 pm

You could get a predator in there to mop up the fry.....
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Return to Emergencies