[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my dwarf gourami
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my dwarf gourami

Need some help or advice quickly.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my dwarf gourami

Postby sandraturpin361 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi there

Could you please have a look at the short video clip of my dwarf gourami and if possible give me some idea of what is wrong with him. He is acting normally and doesn't appear to be unwell in anyway. As you can see there are a couple of holes in his fins. He isn't bothered by any of the other fish, in fact he is the one that likes to chase the bolivian rams. I have been reading up on white spot but not sure if it fits the description.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABNHFKCpw0c
sandraturpin361

Re: Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my dwarf gourami

Postby mucklelass » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:48 pm

I'm certainly no expert, Sandra, but it looks more like fin rot to me than whitespot (which is small white spots, not holes).
Are any of the other fish showing eroded areas, or patches of white looking tissue on their fins?

I couldn't see clearly from the video, is the area around the hole white, or does the tissue look healthy.
Also, what are your water stats, as high nitrite can provoke fin rot. We had some in our tank and generous water changes got things back on track without the need to medicate.

As I said, I am no expert, but if you supply this info it might help the folk on the forum help you quickly.
mucklelass
Donator
Donator

Postby sandraturpin361 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks for your reply. I don't see any evidence of eroded areas on any of the other fish but will keep a closer eye on them. I am sure there was a touch of white where the holes are and there is a white bit on it's tail. We have been testing the water. Nitrites and ammonia are fine but nitrates have been a bit higher than they should be so over the last two nights we have done a 30% water change and the nitrates have dropped to maybe a bit over 20ppm. Over the last couple of weeks we have treated the water with Esha 2000 twice due to a sterbai seeming to lose its balance so hopefully that might have helped.
sandraturpin361

Postby Mick » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:49 am

Looks like a bit of fin rot to me as well, it should clear if the water quality is kept high.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby sandraturpin361 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:36 am

Will the holes in the fin grow back again or will he always have the holes?
sandraturpin361

Postby mucklelass » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:56 am

One of our black wedge tetras had a shortened raggedy tail. It grew back perfectly once the water stats were maintained well.
mucklelass
Donator
Donator

Postby sandraturpin361 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:37 am

Thanks, that's good to know :)
sandraturpin361

Return to Emergencies