Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Please Help!

Need some help or advice quickly.

Please Help!

Postby RamireziKeeper108 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:48 pm

I have a juwel rio 180 and I have: 2 rams, 2 firemouths, 3 red line torpedo barbs, 3 angelfish, 1 medusa pleco, 1 royal panaque pleco, and a black ghost knife fish.
1. What will the Black ghost knife eat?!
2. Will it kill all of my other fish in the night?!
Please Reply!
RamireziKeeper108

Re: Please Help!

Postby fishlover10 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:55 pm

i dont know much about that fish so i would advise that you search it on google or someting like that

i just had a little look into them and from the sounds of it i dont think it will kill any of your fish but will proberly attack them
fishlover10

Postby RamireziKeeper108 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:25 pm

Thanks for looking into it I really appreciate it, its just that my electric blue rams were £12.95 each.
RamireziKeeper108

Postby fishlover10 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:29 pm

yer, i can see y your worried but im not 100% sure so if you have a divider or another way to split them up i would suggest it
fishlover10

Postby POS_miniracer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:44 pm

That's a lot of fish in a tank that size.
Here's a profile on your Ghost Knife which should well outgrow that tank
viewtopic.php?f=136&t=1685

Actually many of the fish in that tank will outgrow it if you intend to keep them all which I wouldn't recommend since that combination is not an ideal mix of tank mates.
POS_miniracer

Postby malakye » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:22 am

Fishlover thank you for trying to help. We have a great profile section on here so there is no need to google :rofl: if no one has posted since your last post could you please just edit your original post rather than the multiple posts as it makes it harder for people to get to the original question. :thu: (hope you understand what I mean lol)

Black ghost fish are really quite shy timid fish who only eat meaty foods like brineshrimp, tubifex, bloodworm. They will not kill your other fish and are usually only aggressive with others of their own kind, had your other fish been tiny they may have eaten them but they are not so will be fine. They do grow big, much bigger than your tank so as Tom (POS) has already stated you will need to get a larger tank and like him I feel its not a great mix of fish either so it might be an idea to rethink or a great excuse to get another tank up and running lol.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RamireziKeeper108 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:46 pm

All of my fish are quite happy together, but right now they are all juvenile so they are all small
RamireziKeeper108

Postby weirdartist » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:40 pm

yes, but we all know juvies don't stay that way, its time to decide what you want to do when they get big, you could do as malakye suggests and get a new tank started up ready, or you could trade some fish in for store credit, or you could give them away/sell them to a good home. Its up to you, but keeping them together in that tank will result in sickness, stress and possible death, waste of money if you don't give them enough space :)

Terry
weirdartist

Postby RamireziKeeper108 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Yeah, I have planned to probably get rid of my angels when they get big and maybe the firemouths but NOT THE RAMS! They were just to expensive, but anyhow, how fast will my fish get big?
Firemouths-1.5"
Red line torpedo barbs-2"
Angels1"-1.5"
Ghost knife-2.5"
Rams-1"
Medusa pleco-4"
Royal pleco-1.5"
RamireziKeeper108

Postby POS_miniracer » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:41 am

How large or how fast a fish grows depends greatly on the species but also on the conditions in which they're kept. Overcrowding and poor water quality can lead to stunting. Juveniles especially require very good water quality and routine partial water changes to reach full potential. Diet also plays a critical role.

Having raised a couple of hundred Firemouth's and similar species I can tell you that in the right conditions they can grow fairly rapidly but in less than ideal conditions they can "hit the wall" and stunt fairly easily also. At an inch and a half I would say you should be looking for constant steady growth as an indicator of how well they're doing.

My father has kept Angelfish for years and his tend to fill out and grow fairly rapidly but he has the advantage of being retired so they get the best of care. I've seen many of his grow from pet store juveniles about the size of a silver dollar coin to 4 inches or more in less than a year (about 8 months). His Severums also seem to fill out fairly rapidly. About a year ago I brought him 2 of mine which were the smaller 2 out of a group of 4 that I had and his are now doing better than the one's I kept. So there are a lot of variables that play a role.
POS_miniracer

Return to Emergencies