[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - weird critters in my tank?
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

weird critters in my tank?

Need some help or advice quickly.

weird critters in my tank?

Postby slyfield77 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:03 pm

hi
i have a well matured (about 7 years) old tropical fishtank 6' x3' with parrot, silver dollers and a big sucker fish in there. fish are all health, no fish has been added or taken away for a couple of years. i recently started to do a water change and left the water at a lower level for about a week (roughly about 5") below the top of glass. a couple of days ago i went to fill the tank back up and noticed on the glass (only above the water line) were hundreds of tiny little bugs that look exactly the same as a red bloodsucker but are white in colour. some are smaller, about the size of a grain of salt. if i use my scraper to get them off the glass they jump on top of the water like fleas jump and they definately do not like the water but do like the damp conditions on the glass. they seem to be breeding as there are lots of tiny little ones. ive been to a few aquatic shops but no one seems to know anything about them or what i could do to treat the problem. i couldnt supply any photos because they are too small to see anyway. all fish are healthy and totally unfazed by whats happening above them.

many thanks

i hope someone can help
jamie
slyfield77

Re: weird critters in my tank?

Postby Anita » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:10 pm

They are springtails (collembola) tiny bugs which love damp conditions. I had them on the water surface of my big discus tank... there don;t seem to be any on my current tank (perhaps they are attracted to larger areas of water).
They are harmless, I'd be tempted to wipe around the water line of the tank with a clean cloth if you don't like them as it may reduce the numbers.
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Mick » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:03 am

Do the fish see these as another food source Anita ?

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Anita » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:48 pm

Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Mick » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:11 am

Im glad this subject was brought up as I had them earlier in the year and yes you guessed it, open topped with luminaire :-):

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Anita » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:36 pm

Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby slyfield77 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:28 pm

thanks for all your reply's

the fish dont touch them at all, and yes it is a open top aswell.
one of the people i spoke to at the fish shop seemed to think that they might come from some sort of fly that has managed to get in the tank hood where its damp and warm and layed eggs. im not sure either way but they dont seem to be doing any harm.
once again many thanks.

jamie
slyfield77

Postby slyfield77 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:32 pm

thanks anita for your help
slyfield77

Postby Anita » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:02 pm

Anita
Donator