[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Something wrong with Diamond Tetra, please advise
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Something wrong with Diamond Tetra, please advise

Need some help or advice quickly.

Something wrong with Diamond Tetra, please advise

Postby sandraturpin361 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:36 am

Hello, for the last couple of days one of my diamond tetras has been swimming strangely. Sideways, floats to the bottom then swims upwards again. He goes into spins. The tank has had two out of three doses of esha 2000, 3rd dose will be given this afternoon. It's upsetting seeing it like that as I don't know if it is any distress. I phoned our local fish shop in Falkirk (The Aquarium). I don't think I will be going there again. He said we should take it out and destroy it. We asked how he would do that, he said pour boiling water on it. That's disgusting and upset me a great deal.

I've been considering swimbladder but don't know. We managed to get it into a food bag with tank water and held it in the tank for a while with a frozen pea (poured boiling water on it first to soften then squashed it a bit) it didn't seem that interested.

I don't know what to do for the best. Sometimes for a few seconds it swims ok.

Really really need some help.

Thanks, Sandra
sandraturpin361

Re: Something wrong with Diamond Tetra, please advise

Postby Mick » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:04 pm

It does sound very much like a swim bladder problem or a digestive problem that is putting pressure on the swim bladder, Esha 2000 is more of a fungal or bacterial medication so it may be worth trying out a swimbladder treatment to see if this helps.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby sandraturpin361 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks Mick, at the moment I can't see it. Is it ok to add the swimbladder treatment at the same time as the esha 2000? I have just added the third dose of that. I'm going to phone the LFS to see if they have any.
sandraturpin361

Postby Anita » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby sandraturpin361 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:31 pm

It was the owner that gave that advice :(. Unfortunately the poor thing didn't make it and I cried. I am now sorry to say there is another diamond tetra displaying the same symptoms. What we've noticed also is that gill the left hand side is open enough to see a bit of the inner flesh. It's swimming around in circles. I don't know what to do, I don't want to risk affecting the other fish but I can't bring myself to remove the tetra.
sandraturpin361

Postby sandraturpin361 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:52 pm

The tetra was dead when I got home from work :(
sandraturpin361

Postby malakye » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:24 am

sorry to hear that sandra.
Have you checked your stats again recently?
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sandraturpin361 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:38 am

Thanks Candice. Yes, we still check regularly. I don't know if anyone else has the same problem but I find it hard to tell the difference between 0ppm ammonia and 0.25ppm ammonia. The colour is so similar that I think it may not be completely yellow but it's not as much as 0.25. We hold up the vial this way and that way and in different rooms but still find it hard to tell. If we are in doubt we change about 10% of the water. Nitrates and Nitrites are always fine. Nitrates not being higher that 20ppm.

I'm very paranoid regarding the fish now. It would be hard to tell if I say lost a harlequin rasbora or glowlight tetra with them being smaller and more of them. They are so hard to count. I think I see sinister things now when there aren't any.
sandraturpin361

Postby Mick » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am

I think we have all been in that situation in the past, imaging all terrible things happening in the aquarium. It could just be one of those things that do happen and will never happen again, at least you are monitoring your water quality which will prevent a lot of common problems.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Anita » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:06 pm

Sorry about the fish Sandra.
You seemed to be pretty stocked with fish now looking at a recent video.
Post up a current list of fish and a reminder of the size of the tank :)
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Next

Return to Emergencies