Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Help, blue ram bullying dwarf bristlenose

Need some help or advice quickly.

Help, blue ram bullying dwarf bristlenose

Postby sandraturpin361 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi

A few days ago we bought, perhaps foolishly, 3 German Blue Rams. We were told they were all male and that they were Royal Rams. I am not sure if they are all males or not. Anyway, one in particular seems to be annoying our plec which just sits on a leaf. Is it doing this because it isn't moving much? We are planning on returning them to the store as all three seem to give chase to the other fish. Is there anything we can do between now and tomorrow when the shop opens. I love the colouration but I don't love the nature they seem to have.

Thanks in advance

Sandra
sandraturpin361

Re: Help, blue ram bullying dwarf bristlenose

Postby Anita » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:49 am

Sorry they've caused you problems Sandra. It's difficult what to advise... I personally bought 2 males many years ago and one hunted the other down constantly and that was in an 85 gallon tank. There was plenty of room for them, no females in the tank, but still there seemed to be a territory issue. Eventually the weaker one died.
I remember when I bought them the guy assured me because they were 2 males territory wouldn't be an issue because there was no females, which sadly was not the case. Even with no females, a male will get his territory sorted and not let anyone in there hoping a female will swim by.
I had kept them successfully previously (a pair) they laid eggs but always eat them, both lived to a fair age.
I would never buy them again unless I could get a male and female.

Cichlids are complex, big ones and little one alike, because they care for their young. They take on strong territorial behaviour patterns to keep them safe, it makes them endearing and fascinating by nature, but you'll never have a quiet tank :crazy2:
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby sandraturpin361 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks Anita, it's hard to know what to do. I really am unsure as to their sex. Giving chase to the other fish is one thing but it was seeing the dwarf BN getting annoyed when it was just lying on the leaf. We put an algae wafer in last night and where the emperors and rams usually pick it up and drop it, the blue rams weren't letting anything near it. I am not even sure of PAH procedure of taking fish back.
sandraturpin361

Postby Anita » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:48 am

What did you decide to do?
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby sandraturpin361 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:37 am

We took them back to Pets at Home after going to see them first. We got our money back and went to Maidenhead Aquatics in Coatbridge. We got 2 Neon Red Dwarf Gourami. The tank is peaceful again but I do feel so sorry for having had to take them back. They were lovely fish. Thanks for responding Anita :)
sandraturpin361

Postby Anita » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:21 am

They are lovely fish, but you were mis-sold in a way :) 3 males in your sized tank was not gonna work. If you could have gotten a pair it would have been a different story, as they would have settled well and you would have been able to appreciate them.
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby sandraturpin361 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:56 pm

would we be able to add a pair sometime?
sandraturpin361

Return to Emergencies