Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Black Moor Goldfish has growth on his eye, please help!

Need some help or advice quickly.

Black Moor Goldfish has growth on his eye, please help!

Postby yelleanor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:28 pm

I have two goldfish in a tank. I don't know how much water is in the tank, except the measurements of it are as follows: 15 inches long, 10 inches tall, the water goes up to 7 inches, and its about six or seven inches in width. It's a plastic tank, no gravel, no filter, and some pond weed in it. I have a black moor goldfish and what i think is a Shubunkin goldfish (i had to identify them off google) . I do clean the tank out when it gets dirty but as a born procrastinator i sometimes let it get really bad. I've had the fish just over a year now, and they've been fine up til that time, but today i noticed what can only be described as a sort of floaty, white, fluid-filled blister/growth, on the eye of the moor. It doesnt tally up with white spot, its more like a translucent blister. I don't use anything in way of medication or algae control, i only got them because i pestered for a pet and so they were never going to be in a fancy tank or anything. Any idea of what this might be and how i could treat it? I'm really sorry i can't give much detail about it, i don't know much about this type of thing!
yelleanor

Re: Black Moor Goldfish has growth on his eye, please help!

Postby POS_miniracer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:06 am

Any chance of getting a picture?

First things that come to mind are pop eye or possibly a bite from the other fish but it's nearly impossible to tell without seeing it.
POS_miniracer

Postby Big Den » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:48 am

Hi welcome to the forums. Now I don't want to put you off fish keeping, but your tank is way too small for 1 goldfish, let alone 2. It sounds like your tank is holding approx 10 litres of water, :wtf: when each fish requires at least 30 litres. The eye problem is a result of bad water over a prolonged period. You have allowed ammonia and nitrite to build up which has caused a bacterial infection, the eyes are normally the first affected. As for treatment, it's pointless buying medication because the root cause is too small a tank. I would suggest, removing the plants, as they will just rot, do a 20% water change, per day, from now on. I would also advise a bigger tank with some sort of filtration. Sorry to be the voice of doom but if you cant get a bigger home for them get some smaller fish, like guppies or white cloud mountain minnows, they will still need regular water changes though.
Big Den

Postby Jack Middleton » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:04 am

As before water quality is more than likely the cause of the problem, the tank is way too small for both fish and ideally the Shubunkin should be in a pond, it is capable of reaching 16 Inches in length, from now on I'd recommend 50% water changes every 12 hours, Goldfish have unholy metabolisms and digestive systems, they create considerably more waste than that of your average tropical fish, they'll be suffering from ammonia poisoning, and damage has probably already been done to their gills, ammonia burns their gills and inhibits their ability to exchange ions and air across them as part of osmoregulation and respiration. The Black Moor needs a tank with a volume of at least 30 Gallons, they can reach 6-8 inches in length and are very full-bodied fish when fully grown, a tank that is at least 3 feet long and 1.5 feet wide would be much better. Also you must ensure that any upgrades you choose to make come with a filter, without it you'll be back in your current situation, for the first 6 weeks of the filter running you'll need to do 50% water changes every 12 hours, possibly more in order to make the environment less dangerous for the fish, I say 6 weeks as that is approximately how long it takes for the appropriate bacteria to colonise in the filter during a fish-in cycle, but you'll have a much better idea if you can get hold of a liquid test kit so you can keep an eye on water parameters. If you're not keen on upgrading then you must find the fish new homes, it is not fair to keep an animal if you're not able to provide appropriate conditions for it.
Jack Middleton

Postby yelleanor » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Oh dear God.. I had no idea at all. They shouldn't let you buy fish in shops without even telling you what they need to survive! I feel terrible now.. Thank you for telling me, at least i can do something about it before they die. As there's nowhere in my house for a bigger tank i'm looking into finding someone who wants them and can look after them properly. If not i might take them to a different pet shop. Thanks again for the advice.
yelleanor

Postby Jack Middleton » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:41 pm

Don't forget to dechlorinate any water you add, you don't want to further stress the fish.
Jack Middleton

Postby yelleanor » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:52 pm

How do i do that?
yelleanor

Postby mucklelass » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:36 pm

There is a liquid you can buy - water conditioner - which you add to the water you are using to replace what you take out when you do a water change. Add it to the water in the bucket before you put it in the tank. It derals with chlorine and other stuff harmful to fish. One I use is Nutrafin Aqua Plus, but there are others.
I hope you can re-home your fish soon. That sound like the best solution. And I agree with what you say about the per shops. It is scandalous that they don't give proper information.
mucklelass
Donator
Donator

Postby Jack Middleton » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:05 pm

If you know your water supplier you can check on their website if your water supply contains chlorine or monochloramine, if it contains only chlorine then you can just heavily aerate the water to allow the chlorine to gas-off and then use it, if it contains the more stable monochloramine then you'll need a sodium thiosulphate solution, most come under the name, tap or aqua safe etc, just check on the bottle that it deals with chlorine and the amine ion that is released when the chlor-amine bond is broken, I know Seachem's Prime deals with both.
Jack Middleton

Postby malakye » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:16 pm

Den and Jack have answered everything for you so all I want to add is to say sorry your petstore did not give you better advice. Black Moors are more fragile than the goldfish and thats why its eyes will be affected first.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Emergencies