[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - new to saltwater and star fish is sick
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

new to saltwater and star fish is sick

Need some help or advice quickly.

new to saltwater and star fish is sick

Postby thejunki » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:59 pm

Ok let me give you some background before you make fun…
About 2 weeks ago I got a tank and decided to try my hand at saltwater. I have read an read everything I could find and decided it was time to try. Filled the tank mixed everything got some “live rock” and watched the levels. I used some jumpstart stuff I received from the store. Everything was good. It took about 7 days and it looked like it went though a full cycle. I added a yellow tang, 5 snails, about 25 hermit crabs. It ran good for 1 more full week. This weekend I added 1 more yellow tang and a starfish. The starfish looks really bad today so I tested the water again today. The nitrites were around 5.
Is there anything I can do so I don’t kill my starfish with that high levels or nitrites?
thejunki

Re: new to saltwater and star fish is sick

Postby Mick » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:32 am

Basically it is a case of stocking too quickly and the tank is not quite ready for the bio-load. Starfish need mature tanks, not just cycled ones so it would have been better to wait a few weeks before adding one.#You could encounter problems adding two yellow tangs as well as the may fight with each other.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby malakye » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:00 pm

You are going to have to do water changes to try and bring down those levels, make sure you mix your salt water and get it up to temperature before adding it to the tank. How big is your tank and how much live rock did you add too it?
Mick has hit the nail on the head, marine tanks have to be taken very slowly. Don't worry no ones going to make fun off you here, thats not what this forum is about.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thejunki » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:36 pm

thanks for the advice. The star died or should I say fell apart within 24 hours of adding it to the tank. Oh well better luck next time. I have 2 tanks right now. One 70 gallons and one 200. The 200 I think has a slow leek in it somewhere. The 70 is where I had the star. The tang's are looking ok and the live rock are starting to get loads of little red fether things on it. It has been running for 2.5 weeks. I used some bacteria jump start stuff in a red can. I am in no hurry now and i will not buy anything for quite a bit. I am going to post this somewhere else on the form but how do I find a slow leak in the 200 gallon? can can i use sandstone and lavarock insted of live rock for now until i can buy the live rock. My budget is VERY limited and I wanted to get the 200 up and going for a while so I can sell the 70 gallon one.
thejunki

Postby malakye » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:58 pm

You can buy reef plates which are often cheaper and will become live through time. Have a look online in gumtree or ebay for example for people stripping down tanks and selling off the live rock cheaply. Don't use sandstone.
I don't know what the stuff in a red can was but patience really is the key with marines. Live rock will become your filter but you need enough of it to cope so yes it does get expensive.

As for leaks I would fill it somewhere where the leaking water will not cause an issue and see where it is leaking from.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Emergencies