[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Losing alot of fish for no reason
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Losing alot of fish for no reason

Need some help or advice quickly.

Losing alot of fish for no reason

Postby gourami » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:33 pm

Ok im stumped....i have lost so far in the last few days both my big angels, 2 bn plecos, 1 cory, 6 black neons, 3 glowlights, 2 cardinals, and 4 neons. Its my 55 gallon tank that has benn running for 2 years now. Everything tests fine, amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, and ph is consistent at 7.2. The temp is running at 78. The only thing new recently was 6 glowlights, which are all still alive and healthy as can be. The fish that arecoming up dead look perfectly fine. The lsdt fish to die wasone of the big angels she was fine when I woke up, went to do a water change an hour later because of the problems and she was laying on her side on the bottom. Then she was dead within 20 minutes. I did a 45% water change just to be safe, and double dosed prime. Ths tank gets weekly water changes of 25%. Im also gonna start them on jungle labs medicated food just to be safe. Any other thoughts as to what might have happened?
~Chris
gourami

Re: Losing alot of fish for no reason

Postby Jack Middleton » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Which test kits are you using?
Jack Middleton

Postby malakye » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:11 pm

How old is the test kit? They only have a limited shelf life so you could be getting a false reading.

There is a chance the glowlights have brought in a bacterial disease of some sort which they are immune too but your other fish may not be so tolerant off.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Anita » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:32 pm

Check your electrical equipment
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Mick » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:45 am

Any chance of contamination of the water i.e. something dropped in there that shouldn't be

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby gourami » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:39 am

The test kits are liquid and no more then 6-8 months old. There's no way anything got into the tank, no one around that could put anything in there and there is a screen over the back to keep the cat out lol. It has calmed down a little, I've lost all the cardinals and all but 5 of the neons. The glowlights are doing great still, and now there is 8 of them. Don't know where the other one came from, I've only been seeing 7 in there the last week. I dosed with metro+ last night, its all I had on hand that I could think that might help. I'm going to do another water change tonight when I get home. We will see how it goes....
~Chris
gourami

Postby Mick » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:47 am

Hopefully you are over the worst now

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby POS_miniracer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:57 am

I had something very similar happen several months ago and to be honest nevr could quite nail down the cause. I originally suspected it was something the new fish brought in with them that the other's could not tolerate. But I also suspected that some form of toxin may have been introduced. Not sure if it was coincidence but at the time I was not running any charcoal in the filters but I added some on the theory that if it would remove medications it may also remove toxins and the losses nearly completely stopped within 24 hours.

I also find Anita's suggestion very interesting because in doing some research at the time I read an article in the June 1976 (yes, 1976) issue of tropical fish hobbyist in which the writer described very much the same events. What he eventually discovered was low voltage leaks coming from his heaters into the water creating a radiated electrical field basically causing electrical poisoning.
He goes into a fairly long and complicated explaination as to why the leaks on his particular heaters seemed to only happen while they were actually not running as opposed to running and how the polarity from the outlet affected it.
POS_miniracer

Postby gourami » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:55 pm

So how would one check to see if their heater is leaking? The heater in their tank is less then 2 years old but I won't say its impossible that it could be the cause, it would be a coincidence that it started having trouble at the same time the new fish were added lol.
~Chris
gourami

Postby malakye » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:59 pm

You can get testers which will test for current but I would put money on it being the new fish who have brought something in with them.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Emergencies