Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Removing minor scratches from juwel Rio 400

Fancy telling us about ways you have saved money by doing it yourself or want advice on a future project.

Removing minor scratches from juwel Rio 400

Postby Reece50 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:24 pm

Hello, I am new to this forum so apologies in advance if I have posted this in the wrong section.

I recently got myself a second hand juwel Rio 400. I didn't pay a huge amount for it, other than a few scuffs from cleaning it is imaculate. I'm off work at the moment as I have recently had surgery for Crohn's disease so money is sparse so the cheapest solution would be beneficial.

The front viewing pannel has very minor scratches and scuffs, causing a misty look. I have read about various methods to remove the scratches and the method with the best results seems to be using cerium oxide and a buffing wheel.

Any advice and experience would be greatly appreciated.
Reece50

Re: Removing minor scratches from juwel Rio 400

Postby malakye » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi Reece and welcome.

Is it on the inside or the outside of the tank?
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Reece50 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:32 am

The scratches are on the inside, very minor but lots of them. Any suggestions would help me so much! Thanks
Reece50

Postby malakye » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:00 pm

If its empty then you can try buffing them out with toothpaste, that doesnt always work thought.

There is a product called cerium oxide, you mix it with a little bit of water to make a paste and then use a buffer to polish out the scratches. Again your better with the tank empty because the last thing you want to do is pollute it. When using the buffer pad either on a drill or a polishing machine make sure you keep checking the glass to make sure it doesn't get to hot. Wipe off any excess then rinse really well.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to DIY Projects