Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Pond Filter

Fancy telling us about ways you have saved money by doing it yourself or want advice on a future project.

Pond Filter

Postby Graeme » Sat May 30, 2015 8:30 pm

The house we moved into last year came with a pond, well almost. It's a fibre glass corner thing of about 100 gallons ish with two Goldfish. It was only partly buried with dirt stacked up around. We levelled the garden last summer and tided it up with log roll. So I put a pump in there in march with a UV clarifier and a fountain on top. Trouble is the UV kills all the algae then the very small filter section can't cope with the muck and clogs up. The only way of cleaning the filter is to lift the whole pump out of the pond, remove the sponge, squeeze it out, put it back together and put the thing back in again. This of course stirs up all the dead algae debris and the sponge filter clogs in about half an hour.

So I made a small filter out of a sandwich box! Mark 1 was stood on it's end an concealed behind the pond but that dripped in the night and the pond was half empty in the morning! Mark 2 sits on top up the right way but doesn't look very good.

Not sure if I should improve on the diy filter and keep this thread going, maybe with a different pump or splash out on a proper filter and start a new thread in the pond section!
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Re: Pond Filter

Postby malakye » Sun May 31, 2015 4:09 pm

Not sure on what to advise you on that one, Big Den or one of the others who have ponds might be better to help with this. I am sure (if memory serves me correctly) that Den has an absolutely amazing pond in his garden.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Big Den » Sun May 31, 2015 9:17 pm

First off I would sink that pond in the ground and lay some nice stone around the edge. With that wall at the back will also allow you to build a nice waterfall fed from a decent filter camouflaged somewhere along that back wall. I've never been a fan of fountains, for one thing they distort the surface and the fish are difficult to see, better to divert all the pumped water to the filter. A filter something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOZELOCK-ECOC ... 2569b8fbc6 would suit your needs very well.
Big Den

Postby Graeme » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:09 am

Thanks Den. We left the pond at the level it is so the little ones don't fall in! The fountain is a bit pointless, I might do a re-plumb to get the angel going again and loose the fountain. If I buy a new filter it would have to have the inlet and outlet on the same side and be narrow enough to fit in and hide behind the pond. I feel a re-design with a waterfall coming on!
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby Big Den » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:09 am

Personally I think the waterfall is essential, I just love the sound of trickling water, plus it oxygenates the water as well. Have a browse through 'ebay' I'm sure you will find a filter to suit your needs at a reasonable price.
Big Den

Postby Graeme » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:07 pm

Mark 2 is a couple of troughs from Homebase! The fountain has gone and a waterfall has been added! The inlet pipe stands out a bit too much and clear silicon might have been better. But it's been fun!!! :-):

I'll have to do a disguising job with the bricks! And those holes don't look right, I think it needs to be a slot.
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:28 pm

Great start, I would have been tempted to hide the trough in the bit behind the bricks and have the water coming down a couple of steps into the pond.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:40 pm

Good shout! I'll look into that.
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Return to DIY Projects