Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

tank sealant

Fancy telling us about ways you have saved money by doing it yourself or want advice on a future project.

tank sealant

Postby jimpunker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi guys,

I was thinking about trying to put together my own tank using some second hand tanks. I've got a glass cutter so I can get the right sizes needed. What I need to know is a strong sealant I can use to hold it all together.

Any suggestions??
jimpunker

Re: tank sealant

Postby malakye » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:33 pm

Use aquarium safe silicon, just make sure the glass is really clean before you use it.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kempinski » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:42 pm

Use alcohol to clean the surface you want to seal together, it cleans it perfectly and evaporates completely.
My tank:
29 Gallon
Inhabitants
5 Albino Bronze Cories
6 Peppered Cories
13 Platies
7 Guppies
4 Swordtails
Circa 03/12
Kempinski

Postby jimpunker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:45 pm

This is the kind of thing I'm thinking. It's 2 foot wide, 1 foot deep and 1.10 feet high.

I estimate it's about 56 lts and then I'll have marginal plants on the top shelf. Maybe a frog too...

The smaller gap is for an internal filter (I have no space for external filtration atm) this will also serve as a pump to supply a water fall that I'll create around the hole. The water will flood through the top shelf substrate and then flow over into the tank.

Think this will work?

new idea.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimpunker

Postby malakye » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:54 pm

BigDen is the technically minded one so he will be best to advise you on this working.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kempinski » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:59 pm

That's a great amphibian/fish set-up...as long as you plan to have a canopy on too. :P
But seriously, it's an awesome design, I'm really looking forward to the end result pictures. :thu:
My tank:
29 Gallon
Inhabitants
5 Albino Bronze Cories
6 Peppered Cories
13 Platies
7 Guppies
4 Swordtails
Circa 03/12
Kempinski

Postby jimpunker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:02 pm

There will be a canopy on it yes lol. As I plan to make it from two tanks I should have one that fits. Then I just have to figure out lighting which I will probably turn to the forum for help. Might be a white until I get around to doing this but hopefully will get it done!
jimpunker

Postby malakye » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:07 pm

I agree it will be great to see this come to life. I have sent Den a message asking him to give his technical knowhow a work out on this and give you his ideas and help.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jimpunker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks Malakye. I'd love to get this done quickly but money is restricted :-(
jimpunker

Postby Big Den » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:19 am

The top section will need to be at least 80mm deep to allow for the roots of marginal plants, and you will have to be careful which ones you choose, as most grow quite tall. If you have the outflow from a filter running onto this section there is a danger that the substrate will get washed away. You will also need a heater, if you intend growing tropical plants, which will also supply the humidity. If you use an upside down aquarium for the top section/lid, there is a real danger of accidents when removing it for maintenance, may be better to use an acrylic one.
I would, using what you have, make a tray section 80mm deep and set the bottom of it 100mm above the base. fill the 'tray with 30mm 'John Innes No 3' and cover with 50mm fine river sand. Compact the compost so that it is quite firm. I would keep the water level just above the 'tray' to keep the substrate wet. If you don't intend to keep fish filtration shouldn't be a problem so bare minimum for this. Not quite sure what you mean as regards the 'waterfall'.
Big Den

Next

Return to DIY Projects