Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

LED Luminaire

Fancy telling us about ways you have saved money by doing it yourself or want advice on a future project.

Re: LED Luminaire

Postby Jack Middleton » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:39 pm

Cheers Den, the MDF will get a coat of yacht varnish to seal it from moisture.
Jack Middleton

Postby superdart » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:23 pm

The way forward has got to be LED's as the cost of lighting even small systems is getting very dear indeed.I will be watching the build of this unit with interest as I am going to follow the same path in the near future for my new marine systems...
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Postby Jack Middleton » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Very true, the quality of the LED units for sale is quite poor in my opinion, these high power LED's do run very hot though, I bought some PC fans today to aid the cooling of the unit.

In total so far the build has cost me £30 for parts, the LED's have a colour temp of 6000K, I have seen 10000K and 15000K for sale and obviously they'd be great for a marine build.

I had a look at some aquarays earlier today and they really are very expensive for what they are!
Jack Middleton

Postby Jack Middleton » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:13 pm

My LED's arrived today so I'm now designing the housing for the whole unit:

To give you an idea of the LED's this is how big they are in comparison with a 5P coin:
This is a basic diagram of the housing, with the circular pieces being the LED's and their mountings, the rectangles the heat sinks and the larger rectangle the foot print of the unit:
The unit will measure 480*240*80mm.

I am still awaiting the arrival of the heat sinks and driver, then all I need is a transformer.
Jack Middleton

Postby Jack Middleton » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:46 pm

Most of the parts are here, heatsinks and driver arrived this morning, I just need to pick up some 1A wire, heat paste or pads, oh and some m3/4 long bolts to secure everything into place, I'm using some corrugated PVCu off cuts to help mount each LED and its respective heatsink.

I've just ordered a PSU, 24V 1A transformer, should be here in the next 2 weeks.
Here's a very crude pic (loads of camera shake) as it was taken from above and my hands aren't steady!
By the way, the LED's I am using have a colour temperature of 6000 Kelvin, good colour for freshwater.
Jack Middleton

Postby Jack Middleton » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:24 pm

A bit of progress:

LED's and driver all soldered up, just waiting for the arrival of the PSU:
I've thought about how I was going to mount them, and this seems to be the easiest way:

There will be about a 3-5mm gap between the heatsink and the wood it'll be mounted to, thermal tape ordered too.
Jack Middleton

Postby Jack Middleton » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Just awaiting the arrival of thermal tape and the PSU now, the heat sinks have been fixed into place, and the unit is beginning to come together:
I need to cut the wood to size and then cross brace it and build a box for it to sit in, I think I'll seal the unit with a sheet of acrylic then, the top will have open flap access for any future repairs that need to be done, but the idea is that the LED's and circuit will sit on the long pieces of wood and once together this piece just sits in the box and is screwed into place, then it can just be unscrewed if I need to repair it.
Jack Middleton

Postby malakye » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:31 pm

looks much bigger seeing it like that, really interested in the finished results of this.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jack Middleton » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:18 pm

Wood cut to size and self-adhesive thermal tape in position, the wiring has been tacked into place since the photo was taken, I just need the PSU now and some wood to build a surround:
Jack Middleton

Postby Jack Middleton » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:52 am

All done:
Jack Middleton

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects